What is the Best Hot Glue Gun For Arts and Crafts
A crafter cannot be full-fledged craftsman without having yourself some hot glue guns. Every household may have one or two (and working or not working) guns for gluing together items or fixing something.
Glue guns may be familiar to us, but choosing the right one does not stop at “as long as it can do the part.” In buying the best hot glue gun, there are a lot to consider. We’ve listed some of the necessary information you might need when getting a gun for yourself. We also reviewed few products you can consider as best performing in the market.
What is the Best Hot Glue Gun For Arts and Crafts
Your Buyer’s Guide
How Hot Glue Guns Work?
If you’re a crafter or fond of do-it-yourself activities, you might have used hot glue guns. Also called hot melt adhesive, it generates heart to melt a solid adhesive (glue stick) applied to a material. It is designed like a gun with a trigger in the middle and on the tip is an applicator of the melted glue.
Glue guns are used over another adhesive when working with sturdy or complex materials such as wood and plastic. It is also preferred if we want to permanently attach things together. Thus, we grab our glue guns when doing light fixing at home.
Whether you are buying another gun or if you’re a first-timer, there are a few things you need to know before getting one. Here are a few things we’ve listed to help you find the best fit for you.
The size we are referring to is not the actual size of the gun, and rather it is the size of the glue stick. Although, there are glue guns that are made smaller, which is designed for children to handle. There are also guns that are quite large for adults.
Depending on the kind of activity you are doing, you can choose from small, regular and industrial size glue guns. In choosing the glue gun product, you have to consider the user as well as the kind of activity that you usually do.
For home use, the small and regular sizes are enough to perform exceptional gluing. It is especially true if this you use glue guns for minor fixes, arts and crafts activities. If you are working with complex materials, then you might need the bigger ones.
The high temperature and low-temperature are the two types hot glue gun you may choose. As their moniker suggests, the high temperature glue guns are those that can heat up to 400°F (more or less). It is suited for gluing solid and hard materials such as wood and hard-bonded plastic materials.
Meanwhile, the low-temperature glue gun can only reach 250°F (more or less). Thus, this type of glue gun is perfect for soft and delicate materials like cloth, soft-plastic and ribbons among many others.
But, there are innovated hot glue guns that have these two settings. Now, you varying choices that fit your comfort. The important thing that you have to remember is the safety of the users, especially if you share the tool with your kids.
Wired or Wireless?
We all love the portability or mobility of the products we use nowadays. Many manufacturers are adapting to wireless technology, thus the advent of wireless hot glue guns. Today, you now have the choice of wired glue guns, which is the one we are familiar with and the wireless glue gun.
When working with big projects, it is quite hard to move around if you have cables hanging at the bottom of the gun. With the wireless glue gun, you just have to charge the tool, and you can work without the hassle of the cable. However, the downside of the wireless gun is that it has limited power for huge projects.
You have to take account the advantage and disadvantage of these two kinds of power sources for glue guns. It should be accounted vis-a-vis your projects or activities. This is to help you decide which one is most appropriate and convenient for you.
Glue Stick Feeds
A glue gun is called as such because it resembles a gun not only with the body shape but as well as its basic operation. Using the glue gun will require you to press and hold the ‘trigger’ to push the glue stick. This kind of gun is deemed as the trigger feed glue gun. You push the stick to be melted with the use of trigger at the belly of the gun.
But, not all glue gun are fed with the stick through a trigger. There are guns that will require you to manually push the stick to melt it.
We personally favor the trigger feed glue gun because it's quite easy to use than the manual ones. The glue gun heats up fast to melt the stick. Thus, manual pushing may cause issues with getting burnt by the gun.
Safety Measures You Have To Remember!
- You should use gloves to prevent burns and electrocution.
- You need to remember not to touch the hat areas like the nozzle and the parts near it.
- Make sure that you don’t point the gun at yourself or others.
- Like other equipment, keep the guns from water or extremely high temperature.
- After using the product, make sure to keep the properly.
Top 5 Best Hot Glue Guns
- It has a non-drip applicator that is coupled with a non-leaking valve to prevent hot melted glue from falling on your hands or unwanted areas of the projects.
- The glue gun heats up fairly fast for speed and efficiency of your craft works.
- It is equipped with an adjustable temperature mechanism to choose heat modes based on your required activity and to provide safety when used by children.
- It also has a stand to prevent the gun standing when you need both hands to work.
- Large or small hand sizes can comfortably fit with the gun.
- It has a loose cord, which may be an issue of safety if it will accidentally fall off. The loose cord further causes issues of misconnection, where it cannot power up because no electricity is flowing.
- The stand is not strong or sturdy enough to keep the gun upright. Such issue is a hassle when working with delicate materials.
- The light indicator turns off at times. Thus, you will not know if it’s working on or off.
- Its temperature button is physically difficult to adjust.
- The wattage reaches up to 220 watts, which as we’ve pointed out is useful when doing a lot of gluing in short time periods.
- It has an adjustable temperature to give you greater control over the heat that you might want for your project.
- The product heats up in no time saving you from wasting time just waiting for the gun to heat up and start working.
- It has a sturdy stand, which can actually keep the gun propped up.
- It has minimal leaks or drips with featured drip-free nozzle or applicator that comes into two types. You will have choices of applicators that can suit to different projects.
- The trigger is designed to fit your fingers, thus, lessening finger tension.
- The applicator does not produce clean drops of melted glue. It is problem when doing design work as the excess glue peaks out.
- The temperature is inconsistent.
- The glue gun is wireless or cordless, which will afford you greater mobility when working with large materials.
- It also is equipped with a flat base where the battery is inserted, which also serves as a stand when not in use.
- The product is lightweight, which is an advantage considering that it will be carried and moved around.
- It also has a good size that is comfortable to hold. The size is an important character because this product is oftentimes carried.
- The nozzle is changeable to suit different gluing projects and application need. This nozzle likewise serves a safeguard against burns.
- There is no temperature adjustment button to manage the temperature of the gun. Thus, one should be careful the allowing children to use it.
- The battery lasts only for an hour and will again require to be charged. It is an issue because some projects may take longer than an hour and the charging will take time.
- It has an ergonomic design helps minimize hand fatigue when working for longer hours on a large or complicated project.
- The nozzle or applicator has a heat resistant technology, which is helpful to prevent burns when accidentally touched.
- It has a high wattage of 100 watts. The increased wattage is useful when you are working on several projects or gluing many areas.
- The power cable is long enough to give you better mobility when working with a huge material or when several people are using the gun.
- Its trigger works efficiently, where is gives you better control as it will actually stop the melted glue from dripping when not pulling the trigger.
- The trigger is designed to fit fingers comfortably.
- The product may take some time to heat up. It is a drawback because it will eat up the time that should be spent for actual work on the project.
- The body has longer heating areas that also melts the glue stick at the rear end of the gun. It can be a concern for safety because it will melt down towards your hand.
- There are times when you may experience inconsistency with temperature although it does not have an adjuster.
- It has a 200 watt system, which is high enough to hold big and many crafting activities.
- This product also heats up fast that it will only take you a few minutes to actually start working on your tasks.
- It also comes with different nozzles tailored to different kinds of gluing activities. You can simply remove and change the applicator for better results.
- When working for longer periods, the trigger is comfortable to hold and manage.
- It has a dual stand that is placed on the grip and near the nozzle to ensure that there are is a stable support for the gun when not in use.
- There is an issue with the design of the gripping part of the gun, where it may be uncomfortable to hold. It is because of the rubber is not quite in place.
- The glue stick at times does not glide smoothly in the gun, where the stick blocks itself.
Our Choice And Recommendation
From the five products we’ve featured, Pam HB220 Adjustable Temperature UX8012 Adhesive is our top pick. What we highly appreciate about the product is that it performs well while ensuring safety for the users.
We chose to have a wired hot glue gun to ensure consistency with the temperature and work. But, this glue gun allows you to adjust the temperature for you or your children’s use and safety. It is one of the innovative products where you don’t have to choose one specific setting as it comes in dual temperature modes.
With the high wattage, you will be able to work on multiple activities without worrying that the gun cannot hold up for longer periods. We also like the efficiency of the gun since it has a fast heating process. This minimizes mistakes since hot glue comes out immediately.
It is also easy to keep a safe use of the gun with its two kinds of no-drip nozzles. Such applicators both allows the user to achieve the desired used while also keeping it very functional.
If you are on standby, the stand will keep the product upright and steady. It will help minimize accidents and hazards.