What Are the Best Screwdriver Sets and How to Choose
You, like us, may originally think that buying screwdriver set is a piece of cake. Since there are so many sets you can choose from, you will have an unlimited option. But, the sets of contains closely screwdrivers of the same features that choosing one can be very difficult. With this post, we will help you in choosing the best screwdriver set.
What Is The Best Dremel Tool in 2017 (A Buyer's Guide)
Your Buyer’s Guide
What Is A Screwdriver And Who Can Use?
Basically, a screwdriver is a tool, usually manual that is used to push in and remove the screw by turning it from left to right and vice versa. It is a fundamental item for every craftsman, but it is also useful for home use.
A standard screwdriver has three important parts: the head, the shank, and the tip. In a screwdriver set, the tip varies according to its form, which provides different uses. Here is an illustration to help you in choosing your screwdriver sets.
A screwdriver set can have as many as 100 pieces in a collection. Depending on your use, you can choose to have a hundred pieces or only five of them. With the numerous tips, it’s not an exaggeration to say that anybody can use a screwdriver set. Whether you be a mom, a dad, a construction worker, electrician, jeweler or a watchmaker, you can find a use for a screwdriver set.
What Are The Different Screwdriver Heads?
The above photo shows the screwdriver heads illustration. These are only a few of the heads that a set can have. We will highlight the three among the most widely used screwdriver heads.
The slotted or the flat headed screwdriver is the commonly used screwdriver. It simply has a flat tip or blade.
Another popular screwdriver is the Phillips screwdriver, which resembles a cross. But, with the actual tool, it is not flat, rather it has rounded or curved sides.
A close resemblance to the Phillips screwdriver is the Torx screwdriver. It has six points or lobes that look like a star. This screwdriver is commonly used to work on screws found in electronics and vehicles.
There are several other screwdriver tips or heads that a set contains aside from these three. It will depend on what kind of screw you are working with.
Kinds Of Screwdriver Sets
A screwdriver set can be bought as the standards ones, where each driver is complete with a head, shank and tip. Thus, the set has a permanent tip and body. It can also be in bit set, wherein only the head can be interchanged. That is, for different applications, you have to change the tips.
Aside from considering the head or tip of the screwdriver, you can also choose screwdriver sets according to its specific usage or purpose. Certainly, there are several sets for different purposes. But, what we will tell you are the three most basic.
By general use, this mostly pertains to home use. This type of screwdriver set usually contains several kinds of heads, which is adaptable to various screw types. Since it is for general use, it is expected to include the most basic (or common) as well as the complicated ones. Thus, if you need a screwdriver set for your home, you might want to consider a set for general use.
As a professional construction worker, you also need a screwdriver set for your job. The requirement for this set of screwdrivers should be of industry-grade material and engineering. The significance having a quality construction screwdriver set is that it is designed to handle complex, heavy and sometimes big materials.
Construction work may require having as many application, especially on big construction projects. Thus, you also have to understand what part of construction work you are doing.
Precision screwdriver sets are exactly what it is-- used for stringent work. It is often used or small and delicate materials that will require preciseness in work. You may find a use for this set if you are working on electronic devices, jewelry and watches.
However, if you are not a jeweler or a repairman, you may still get this set if you have small objects at home. Some sets may include small-sized screwdrivers. But, if you want a more precise job, you may consider having a precision screwdriver set.
Another important factor you have to consider when buying your screwdriver set is your purpose or use. We highlighted different screwdriver heads and various sets. However, the ultimate decision lies on the purpose you are seeking.
What we are trying to emphasize is that you need to take into account your personal usage when choosing the screwdriver sets. The key element in decision making recognizes the dilemma that you have, which requires the need of a screwdriver set.
Top 5 Best Screwdriver Sets
- The product has 17 standard screwdrivers in a single set. Therefore, it can be a good product for homes and construction work as it can work on different screwdriving jobs.
- Each screwdriver head comes in varying sizes. It affords you with a versatility of sizes on a single kind of head.
- It includes a 4 in 1 keychain screwdriver. The keychain provides portability in the case where it is inconvenient to bring the entire set.
- The set has the standard size screwdrivers that are used for common or most screws. Thus, it will not be difficult to fit in the screwdrivers.
- It is found that some shanks are not properly installed on in the head. It causes loose shanks and would not go with the head when used.
- Some of the screwdrivers are not built with superior quality as there are reports of the tips breaking up. Thus, it does not perform as it is supposed to.
- The 11 pieces of screwdrivers come in different lengths and sizes. It is considerably diverse when used for basic work or projects. You will have several choices of both kinds of heads and their sizes.
- The screwdrivers are “fully insulated,” which means that it is safe when used to work with a project involving electricity. This set is suited for electricians who are in need of screwdrivers at work. But, it can also be for home and personal use taking into account the added safety of insulation.
- Shafts of the screwdrivers are made with chrome vanadium, which is a mixture of alloys. It improves the resistance to rust as well as endure heavier load. Thus, the product is made more durable.
- Although it has 11 pieces, it only has two kinds of screwdriver heads. The set only includes slotted and Phillips. But, it is of different sizes and lengths.
- The black color of the tip and the blade may be an issue of clear visibility that even inside the case, it is hard to quite hard to determine the tips.
- The blade of the screwdrivers in the set is made from alloy steel. This steel is treated with heat to produce more quality screwdrivers.
- The handle or head of the screwdrivers are exposed to high torque acetate. In effect, you will have more control when using them.
- This set also comes with different sizes of screwdrivers. Thus, whether for home, construction or even for precision, this set can perform well.
- Aside from tip sizes, these also have diverse lengths. Depending on the depth of the material you are using, the varying length further allows you more flexibility.
- It only has 5 pieces in a single set. The set can mostly be used for the basic screwdriving tasks and not so much on more complex ones.
- The screwdrivers are relatively smaller. It may not be suited for the industrial work that have bigger-seized screws. But, it can suit smaller projects and materials.
- This set includes 100 pieces of combined standard screwdrivers and bits. You will get more function for this set as it includes several heads or tips for various applications.
- The magnetic tip is also a commendable feature of the screwdrivers. It will allow you to work efficiently since the screws easily stick to the screwdriver via magnetism.
- The screwdriver handles have undergone a satin finish process to provide superior gripping. This type of finish will give you better control over the screwdriver.
- The product set has no proper instructions on how to use the product. It may be frustrating and potentially dangerous for some who are not very familiar with using screwdrivers.
- The overall quality of the screwdrivers can seem to be average. It does not inspire confidence that it can be used in rigid work.
- Also, a trivial issue is that the bag or container of the set is not strong enough to hold all the components.
- The screwdriver set focuses precision work. It works best for delicate tasks like watches and jewelry repair. But, the product is versatile enough to be used for regular screwdriver works.
- Screwdrivers’ tips are also magnetized. It will help prevent the screws from falling off providing greater efficiency of the work.
- The set is compact enough that it is easy to move it around or bring with you. We recommend that you consider this screwdriver set if you are always on the move.
- It includes about 42 bits or tips of different kinds and sizes. Therefore, the set allows you to do more screwdriving work.
- There are instances that some bits are not complete and that it does not seem to have a decent quality.
- Some of the bits are of the same size or have a little difference that it renders other useless. Thus, only some can actually have a use.
Our Top Choice
Our top choice for this review is the Electrician's Screwdriver Set Tool Electrical Fully Insulated 11 Pc Piece Kit. Although it has minimal tips or heads compared to other products on review, it can still fully cover all the basic tasks you need. It contains different heads and screwdriver lengths, which can be used for most screwdriving activities.
The influencing factor for us is the safety measure that the set has. It allows you to confidently work on electricity aside from the regular tasks with its insulated body. Thus, it can be suited for home, precision and even construction.