The Best Wood Burning Tools: A Guide on What and How to Choose
Having to choose wood burning tool will take a great effort to come up with the best that will actually suit you. There is no need to get frustrated about needing to look through hundreds of products as we provide you with our five best wood burning tools. We also select one that stands from the rest in terms of features, design and the benefits it yields.
What Is The Best Dremel Tool in 2017 (A Buyer's Guide)
Your Buyer’s Guide
When Are Wood Burning Tools Used?
A surprising fact of pyrography or wood burning is its existence at the discovery of fire. Historical accounts provide that woodburning has also been done by ancient people using sticks. But, unlike the stick tool, modern woodburning tools create more permanent results.
Since then, wood burning has been around keeping crafters engaged into this hobby or profession. If the ancient crafters used sticks, hobbyists and professionals now use a specific tool for their practice. These tools are used to create designs on varying surfaces as wood, paper, and even leather.
What To Consider When Buying Wood Burning Tools?
When you purchase a wood burning tool, it will usually come with different tips. Each tip will provide different strokes or patterns. From these tips, you can create a whole new design, pattern or image that you desire.
One of the basic tips is the universal tip, which is a thin diagonal line with sharp edges. This tip is usually used to draw lines whether it be thin or thick.
Also, you may find a dot tip on included in your original tool set. The dot tip likewise creates lines, but it is relatively thicker. It’s the main purpose, however, is to form dots or small circles and deep-etched patterns.
There is also the shading tip that creates teardrop shapes. You can use this tip for shading purposes on your crafts.
The importance of knowing the tips of the wood burning tool is to choose the better fit for you according to your needs. Some of the wood burning tools come with the basic or standards tips. But, if your work or project will need more complex ones, you might want to consider tool sets with more tip options.
Corded or Cordless
Most of the wood burning tool that we’ve found from our research are the corded ones. But we also came across some cordless wood burning tools that are powered by Butane gas.
This also pertains to the power of the tool. What we generally know of is that the higher the power, the greater impression you can make. However, high power can also lead to uncontrolled burning. Thus, it may ruin your project. Some of the wood burning tools we’ve reviewed have 60 watts.
The tools also include mechanisms to control the heat and power. But, it will be beneficial to also look into the power of the tool and gauge if you can handle such. Similar to the electric wood burning tools, it uses heat to complete the task. But, instead of electricity, it uses Butane to generate heat.
The cordless tool is also lightweight and more compact. Thus, it is more portable. But, unlike the corded ones, you have limited power.
As the mechanism of the wood burning tool the use of heat, you as a user should have control over it. The temperature of the tool can usually run from 200°C to 450 °C.
Most wood burning tools allow you to control the temperature. It is essential to look into temperature adjustment to attain control over your projects. Thus, in choosing your wood burning tool, you might also need to consider the adjustability of the temperature.
All these criteria and consideration should also be put into play with your personal preferences and needs. Each of us will require wood burning mainly for craft, but projects vary greatly. Thus, you should take into account the features and benefits of the product vis-a-vis your own choices.
Safety Tips And Techniques
Beginners and old timers alike may need these safety tips and learn a few techniques to maximize the use of the wood burning tool:
Tip #1: Don’t rush your art. For first timers or even the professionals always remember that you can your time in doing wood burning projects. It will help create better designs and ensure your safety when using this heated tool.
Tip #2: Make sure that your selected tip is already attached prior to plugging or turning on the tool (as the case may be). Since the attachment is metal in the material, it may conduct electricity and flow towards your hand.
Tip #3: It pays to practice your strokes first. Time and materials can quite be expensive. Thus, to save your ‘canvass’, you can practice on an extra wood material. Practice makes perfect after all.
Tip #4: Always keep your tools properly after use. Don’t leave the tips everywhere to prevent hazards like cutting yourself with it and to avoid losing them.
Tip #5: It will also be helpful to exert care as to where the tip is pointing. It shouldn’t be directed to your or anybody as it can become extremely hot.
Top 5 Best Tool Boxes
- It includes five tips or heads to make different designs and patterns.
- The product is versatile to be used in other surfaces and materials (such as iron materials).
- This wood burning tool has and adjustable temperature. You can set the tool heat from 200°C to 450 °C. Thus, it gives you better control over the heat when designing or working on specific patterns.
- It is designed with heat dissipation mechanism, which is helpful in preventing tool handle from heating up. The mechanism prevents heat from running towards the handle, thus ensuring safety for users.
- The tip heats up fast, which minimizes waiting time for it to be read for use.
- It does not include a stand, where it will be placed when on standby. The lack of stand may increase hazards since there is no proper holder.
- You need to be careful with the tips since it does not include a container. You need to provide one to prevent loss of the tips, which are quite small.
- The 20 tips included in this wood burning tool allows you to do more projects, styles, and design.
- It also does not keep you from waiting for it to heat up. The product heats up fast within mere minutes if not seconds.
- The tool cools down also fast after use. It reduces injury when keeping or storing them.
- This product has a power of 60 watts, which can be considered as enough to perform excellent wood burning jobs.
- It offers portability because of its size and weight. The tool’s size and weight is important to consider to keep strained hands and fingers.
- The voltage control is easy to operate since it is already digital. Thus, it affords more control over the heat and power of the tool to maximum results.
- The overall construction of the pen seems sturdy and well finished.
- It is not flexible enough to hold other tips. The product makes it difficult for users to insert specific tips that are not included in the kit.
- The product is cordless as it is powered by butane gas. It increases the portability of the product, which is useful if you have to move around. Thus, you will not be limited by the cord.
- It is versatile enough with the inclusion of 14 applications. These tips allow you to work for cutting, heating, burning and shaping among the many other uses.
- This wood burning tool allows hands-free process through its flame lock-on and self-igniting technology. It can allow you to perform more complicated tasks.
- It also heats up quite fast. Thus, it helps save time in doing projects.
- This tool provides different temperature settings to give you more control over the heat you need for the project.
- Some may find that the heat is not hot enough to perform other tasks. Thus, it will require more use of the limited butane gas.
- Since it is cordless, you will need to refill butane gas for the continued use of this wood burning tool. It may dent your budget as gas can cost high.
- The wood burning tool comes with as many as 11 tips, which can easily be changed. It gives you more choices when doing the wood burning activity.
- It also has an adjustable temperature, which can help in controlling the kind of activity you are doing. It has many settings actually to give you the heat requirement need for the project.
- The product can heat up to about 510°C, which is hot enough to do complicated and extended burning tasks.
- The handle’s physical design gives comfort to users. It helps with lessening hand strains.
- At times, it does not heat up quick enough in contrast to other wood burning tools we’ve examined.
- The handle can also heat up when used for longer time. It can cause issues with comfort since it will be quite hot to continue working with it.
- Temperature control is a bit heavy such that it limits mobility.
- The product comes with 10 amps, which can increase the time to heat up the product. It can heat up the wood burning tool very fast.
- Tips come in various kinds, which can be interchanged fast and easy. These tips can give your more ways to design and form patterns of different kinds.
- The cords connecting pen and the burner are removable and interchangeable. You can use a more heavy duty cable to give more power when doing the burning.
- It also allows you control the temperature depending on your desired work as it comes with variable or adjustable temperature control.
- The pen is thinner than other wood burning tool on review, which gives better hold and comfort when at use.
- It can be difficult for beginners to use since it is designed for the complex task.
- First timers also need familiar with how the burner and pen work as it heats up fast and with temperature, which may cause injuries.
From among the best five wood burning tools, we choose to recommend the TRUArt Stage 2 Single Pen Professional Woodburning Detailer. It is versatile with its 20 tips inclusion in the kit to allow you to explore more of your creative skills.
The pen tip heats quick and fast to start working immediately. You also wouldn’t have to worry about storing it since it cools down fast.
This wood burning tool is also equipped with 60 watts power with voltage control. Thus, it helps with creating masterpieces as you can control the tool for desired results.
All of these features are packed in a sturdy and lightweight wood burning tool.