What is the Best 3D Pen Today and How to Choose One
Were you as amazed we are with the 3D printer? As we find it super cool, the printer is quite out of our budget and less convenient for simple 3D printing jobs. The great thing is we have a less expensive and a simple tool right in our hands and reach.
Literally used with our hands, the 3D pen answers our need for 3D arts. The market, however, has lots to offer that it might take time to find a good pen that is right for your wants and needs.
To help you with the hunt, we came up with five products we deem the best in the market. These were carefully chosen from relevant set of criteria.
What is the Best 3D Pen Today and How to Choose One
1. What Do You Mean by 3D Pen?
Is there a thing as a 3D pen? Yes, there is! Thanks to our innovators, we can now enjoy and develop our knowledge and spatial skills with this technology.
We may have an idea as to what a 3D pen is. We may have seen the wonders it can create. This is exactly why you’re seeking for one, right? Before we present to your our top five 3D pens, let us first understand what this technology really is.
A 3D pen is an emerging technology that redefines our art and craft work, including that of professional artists and hobbyist. This tool basically marries the mechanisms of a pen and 3d printing machines.
The 3D pen is different from a regular pen because it is powered by electricity. It has a heating operation to melt the plastic filament, which will harden to produce a three-dimensional work.
These characteristics are similar to the 3D printing machine. But, unlike the printing machine, the 3D pen will require the use of your hands to produce the 3D art.
Here is a short video tutorial for beginners to help you maximize your 3D pens:
2. What Do I Need to Consider When Choosing a 3D Pen?
Now that we understand how 3D pens, here is set a few criteria based on the common and specific features of these tools to help you easily and wisely choose the 3D pen suited for you.
Design and Grip
Although the 3D design has a straight body or resembling that of a regular pen, the 3D pen is quite bulky. Most of the 3D pens we’ve seen from our research are hefty. This feature can affect your comfort and work. Thus, you might need to consider a pen that is right for your hand size, especially if it the pen is used by children.
Aside from the size, button and control positioning can also affect your comfort and efficiency. Manufacturers created the pen with buttons that can easily be reached by your fingers even if you are still working. It might be helpful to check how these buttons work and are positioned.
The filament is the plastic string you inserted into the pen, which serves as the solidifying ink that produces the output. It can vary as to colors and kinds. You can easily choose a color that can suit whatever project you’re doing.
A greater consideration, however, is the kind of filament compatible to the 3D pen. There are basically two kinds: PLA and ABS filament. These are thermoplastics that can melt with heat, but easily cools down and hardens.
The PLA is made from polymer material, while the ABS come from plant extracts. PLA becomes more liquid and warps less than the ABS. But, the ABS “prints” faster.
The significance of understanding filaments is for you to choose a pen that is compatible with the kind of filament that you want. However, there are pens that can cater to both types of filaments.
Temperature and Heating
One important mechanism of a 3D pen is its heating operation. Most of the pens we’ve seen from research have an adjustable temperature to suit your work condition preference.
An adjustable temperature is also necessary when working with different kinds of filament. Due to the filaments nature, some may need higher temperature and others a lower temperature setting. Therefore, it might be important for you to check the 3D pen’s temperature setting and control and see if it’s appropriate for your project, filament chosen and skills.
It might be helpful if you also take into account the binder alongside the work or project you might be doing or the kind of user of the colored pencils.
Depending on who uses the 3D pen, you also need to consider personal circumstances like hand size and skills when choosing 3D pens. Some users like children might need smaller ones with an extra safety feature.
The user’s kind of project and preference is also a good yardstick to start with the selection. These preferences and issues, should, however, be considered with the rest of the criteria because each of these 3D pen components can affect each other.
3. What are the basic techniques in using a 3D pen?
When you got yourself a 3D pen, it might be important to exert care when working on the tool for your and the pen’s safety and maintenance. Here are a few things you can do:
- Remember that the plastic is hot as it goes out from the pen. You shouldn’t touch it immediately to avoid burns.
- For beginners, you might need to purchase a paper where you can practice on. These papers can be in blank, or you can purchase a special paper with some drawings on them.
- If you made a mistake and wishes to reheat the plastic, you can use a blow dryer.
- To cool the plastic down, you can simply blow on them.
- Patience and practice are key when working with 3D pens.
Product Review: Best Colored Pencils
The Scribbler 3D pens are geared towards providing more tools for children’s creative development, and the Scribbler 3D Pen V3S Nano is an addition to their 3D pen portfolio.
- It is slimmer than most 3D pens. The smaller circumference of the pen can give the users less adjustment when shifting from pens or paintbrushes as well as increase comfortability when working for long hours.
- This 3D pen uses a ceramic nozzle or tip which can be less hazardous than the copper nozzles considering that the tool uses electricity and heat.
- The tool is versatile enough to accommodate different filaments including the two major thermoplastics PLA and ABS and also with bronze and copper. It allows users to have a wider selection of materials and output.
- It comes with an OLED screen to give you more control as to the temperature and material among other settings.
- Although the Scribbler 3D pens are meant for kids, this specific product operates on a relatively complicated mechanism that may not be suitable for the young users.
- It is comparatively pricey or more expensive than the other 3D pens on review. For starters, the price might be too high considering that skills and activity you will be doing.
Second on our list is the one-click kid friendly 3D Creation 3D Doodler Pen that aims to give a safe and simple tool for kids.
- It offers a one-click button to start the drawing process. This feature is appropriate for children and beginners because it has a simple operation that suits to their skills.
- The 3D pen has a contoured or curved body that allows good hand positioning. It can help in lessening hand fatigue when working with big projects.
- This tool features a lightweight body that adds to users’ comfort while at work. The weight complements that curved body that helps with good pen gripping.
- It allows the plastic filament to easily cool down. The fast cooling process can make it safer for kids as it can minimize plastic burns.
- The product can only accommodate PLA filaments. This can be a drawback for users who want to use other materials, thus, it limits their creative work.
- It has less temperature control, which can cause inefficiency as some users want high heat and others prefer low heat.
- This tool is less advantageous when doing free space. It can be a serious problem as it can lessen the kind of work that user plans on doing.
Another product on review is the NEXTECH Intelligent 3D Pen, which is a product from a brand that boasts of understanding the market then creating a product that is tailored to the wants and needs of their users.
- The pen can be powered through a USB connector that can extract energy through a power bank. This feature allows more portability for users where you can work anywhere.
- The nozzle has an embedded connection that allows the tool to sense heat and temperature. It can lower it down to avoid burns keeping you safer while at work.
- It is packed with a variable speed that helps you control how the filament comes out from the 3D pen.
- The body of this 3D pen is not rounded but has edges for bettering handling and control of the tool.
- This product is lightweight and smaller as compared to the other products in this review. The weight and size characteristics can provide ease in handling.
- The product sometimes jams that you have to readjust settings, which is time-consuming for and lessening productivity.
- It does not include a LED or advance indicators for to give users information as to the status of the 3D pen. It, however, has lights to guide you while using the tool.
Our fourth 3D pen in this review is the 3Doodler Create 3D Pen that comes from the brand, which first introduced 3D pen in the market.
- It has a simple on and off switch button that can be good for beginners and convenience for hobbyist and old-timers.
- The 3D pen is designed with a slim body with soft edges that it feels like holding a regular pen. This feature aims to give you not only control but as well as a relaxed use of the pen.
- This pen is less noisy and operates smoother than the other 3D pens on review. It can help in having quality output.
- It is equipped with changeable nozzles that can enhance your work to be more creative. You can produce various designs with more details.
- The filament cools down in seconds making it safe for the children to use.
- There are issues of clogging that will require you to take extra precaution. Thus, affecting work and productivity.
- The 3D pen is not very versatile to cater to different kinds of a filament.It is sensitive to the kind of plastic filament to use.
- It only has an ambient light indicator instead of a LED screen. This lessens the control you have over the pen.
The last 3D pen in our review is the Glyby Intelligent 3D Drawing Doodle Art, which is as its names suggest has intelligent features to make drawing work easier.
- It comes with an automatic standby mode within 5 minutes of that it's not used. This feature can be useful in ensuring your safety and that of the tool.
- The users are given more capacity to control the speed and temperature of the product. These control mechanisms help not only with handling and management but also with output versatility.
- It is a versatile 3D pen that it can cater to different kinds of filament whether it be ABS or PLA.
- The buttons are soft to the touch and located conveniently for better adjustment and control.
- It is designed with a larger bottom and slimmer body that can be good for easy handling of the pen and minimizes hand tension and aches for long use.
- It has a problem with clogging, and it is not easy to unclog the particles. This is not an issue with quality as it can further affect efficiency.
- There are times that users find the pen hard to use resulting in an unworking product. It may cause issues with safety, convenience, and productivity.
Our Top Choice and Recommendation
After hours of research and review, we think that the top choice for this product review is the Scribbler 3D Pen V3S Nano. This 3D pen is packed with features that can give users a wonderful experience with 3D work.
It has slim body allowing control, especially when working with details. This design also lessens hand tension if you are doing large projects. This pen also comes with a safe nozzle using a ceramic material.
You can also work with various filament types like PLA or ABS. But, you are not restricted to these alone since it can also work with bronze and copper material. You can now do more projects or activities it is versatile with its filament feed.
It’s OLED screen is also a good feature to provide you with the essential data about the status of your pen when working.